Starting an exercise routine is difficult, but sticking with it can seem impossible! Weather it’s committing to a daily run, yoga practice, or a bouldering class, there can be simple ‘tricks’ you play on yourself to make that commitment stick! Here are a few ideas to keep up your healthy new habits far beyond the month of January!
- Sign up for a class that you have never tried before. Do you find that each year you sign up for a spin class and abandon it after a few weeks? Maybe that’s not the exercise for you. At recROC we offer classes in everything from tackling our Ninja Warrior course to Basic Bouldering, so maybe trying something totally outside of your comfort zone is the way to go.
- Find a buddy. Make a commitment to one another to meet at a specific time each week. If necessary, berate one another (in a fun and friendly sort of way!) to stick to your commitment of a meeting place and time.
- Track your successes and challenges. Something as simple as a composition book is a great way to journal and keep a log so you can look back and see your commitment in writing.
- Reward yourself for both the small and large successes. Committing to coming to a class for an entire 7 week session? Plan a large reward like a new pair of running or climbing shoes if you complete the goal, but also celebrate the small successes like getting to the gym for even 20 minutes. Every little bit helps and by celebrating the small achievements you’ll be more apt to stick with you plan and create a long term habit. With that being said…..
- Create a habit! Human psychology suggests that it can take over 21 days to create a habit, so don’t give up! It WILL get easier and you will actually find that you enjoy your new found activity. If you miss one day, it’s not the end of the world! There’s always tomorrow to pick it back up again!
Happy 2018 and we can’t wait to see all of the healthy habits taking place at Lititz recROC!